Intel 8086k

It’s the 40th anniversary of the original Intel 8086 CPU and so they created the core i7 8086k limited edition processor and ran a sweepstake to win one.

They are basically a binned i7 8700K that turbo’s up to 5GHz (6 core, 12 thread) with a different number on them.

There are only 50,000 parts to be sold worldwide, 8,086 of which are given away for free in the sweepstake which I entered after seeing it linked off one of the random tech sites I surf.

Today I got an email to say that I won one of these things! :open_mouth::open_mouth::rofl::crazy_face:

Now onto the real reason for this post…what would you do (bearing in mind my PC is old and needs an upgrade):

1. Get a mainboard, DDR4 RAM and a few other bits, stick a decent cooler on it and actually use it and OC that bish!
  2. Keep it sealed in its box and keep it for a while and whack it on ebay and hope some collector maniacs will bid on it!?

They are not that rare since they are giving away 8086 of them and selling another 50k so I’m not sure I’d get crazy money for one if I put it on the bay so yeah what would you do?

I made a quick poll :slight_smile:

• Use that thing!
  • Keep it forever unopened as a weird collectors item.
  • Put it on ebay and hope for top money and then buy some other bits!

0 voters

Use it and enjoy!

There is so much tech these days, it is unlikely to be a hugely collectable item - at least, not in the next 100 years.

Use it… and even second hand it’ll carry a value if it becomes truly rare

Yep use it matey. Then sell it when you finished with it.

The amount of really old and we’ll used CPUs I sell at car boots and on eBay that still go for good money is crazy.

Yes use it and abuse it. Anyway it is not really any different from a 8700k. Now you have to get the crazy expensive DDR4.
Sadly they did not have any competitions for these in Ireland, would have been a nice free cpu.

Yes the prices of DDR4 is a bit annoying right now as M2 SSD’s and the boards are quite good now price wise.

It’s painful that 8GB of DDR4 costs ~£100 right now, I can game ok with 8GB though.

Just need to wait for it to turn up and then get the rest of the bits.

You should wait a bit Ched. The amazon prime day is coming, should be next month.

True regarding amazon sales etc. as I’m in no rush :slight_smile:

The claim site said it should arrive by mid July.

Oh yeah and btw in the US AMD is doing a swap for a 1950x for that CPU, if you won it :slight_smile:
That 8086k It is a better binned version of the 8700k. So higher boost clocks.
I would recommend an asus board as they have have the multicore enhancement feature(puts all the cores on max clock). For example my 4770(non k for virtualization support) is running at 3.9 on all cores.

The AMD offer for swapping for a threadripper is quite funny as Intel tweeted them to say that if they wanted one they just had to ask :rofl:

GJ Chadling! Use that bitch!

This is the tweet: https://twitter.com/IntelGaming/status/1008831597221593088

Good on them for not rising to AMD’s trolling.

Yes but I believe AMD was doing an anniversary givaway with the 1950x and then Intel was doing the reverse of offering to replace it with the 8086k… So they are both at it.