What have you just bought?

Couldn’t find a similar thread, but I am rather dim.

Just bought a Synology ds918 and two Seagate 4Tb iron wolf drives

Setting things up had been relatively straightforward so far.

Tell me what you think after some time of trying it out please. I was considering buying one around December but decided against it. Now however my main HDD is acting up a bit, like increased reaction times and I really want a 2nd local backup (beside the cloud one).

Mainly looking for a solid backup server for my large picture (300GB of photos) and movie (2TB) collection, maybe some light movie streaming? I’m interested if it deserves the praise I saw in most reviews, especially the software!

Will do. I’m in the same boat as you. We’ve loads of stuff that’s just built up over the years and didn’t have any proper back ups apart from some external drives and one of those started acting up a few months ago.

Setting things up wasn’t complicated but there are one or two funny decisions they made. If you don’t set up a user it’ll keep the admin account named admin and without a password. Setting up an account will automatically make it the admin and disable the stock account. They recommend doing a disk check on new drives and that takes several hours, so I just had that running overnight, but I’m not sure that’s entirely necessary. One bizarre thing I read is that resetting the machine using the reset button defaults the machine back to using the stock admin profile. It seems like a major lapse security wise but I guess if someone had access to the box no amount of security can help.

Software so far seems quite good and easy to use. No problems accessing and setting things up using my laptop or Zarah’s Mac and it only takes a minute making new users and defining permissions for them.
The Android apps are nice, just set up the automatic photo backup for our phones, and will sort out the music one later. I haven’t used the VPN app yet but looking forward to playing with that. You can also set up notifications to email or SMS that’ll keep you up too date with any tasks you’ve scheduled our any issues that pop up

The box itself seems well built and installing and removing drives takes no time at all. The only issue with it is that it only has 1Gb Ethernet whereas some other models have 10Gb, some of the Qnap models also offer this at same price but I haven’t researched those very much. I transferred about 30GB of photos and 114GB of media earlier and the transfer without any issue.

Well that was already enough to be fair. Pulled the trigger on it too. My photo collection from Korea and Japan is too precious to me to not have a 2nd local backup of the original raw files.

Please let me know if you set the VPN up on it as I haven’t gotten around to it yet.

I’m playing around with a Plex server right now, VPN might be next. Will let you know if it works out. The Plex server part is pretty awesome, might digitize a few more movies to add them to the collection!

+1 on letting us know what you think - been debating building a NAS as the main filesystem on my network, but not sure whether to build a pc from scratch for that purpose or just buy a system like you have

I’d love to have built one but on the my desire to have one that actually works outweighed that :slight_smile:

Not tried plex yet. I just bought two Jam Audio Symphonies, they were about 70 euro each and using bubbleupnp and the jam app for multi room audio. Working out reasonably well but I do have to flick back between the two apps as bubbleupnp is having issues controlling audio volume for both speakers when synced.

I have myself a WD EX4100 with 22TB space I think. Plex is amazing to use, especially as you can find it on pretty much every device now days.