Windows 10 - pauses and locks up machine

Hi,

Need some help with Windows 10. My machine seems to hang at random times and I have checked event viewer and need to understand the error and if there is anything I can do to rectify it.

The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID

and APPID

to the user \Michael SID () from address LocalHost (Using LRPC) running in the application container Unavailable SID (Unavailable). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.

I get about 4 of them every time I switch on the machine.

Another warning:
NtpClient was unable to set a manual peer to use as a time source because of DNS resolution error on ‘time.windows.com,0x9’. NtpClient will try again in 15 minutes and double the reattempt interval thereafter. The error was: No such host is known. ()

Not seen this one before.

The system firmware has changed the processor’s memory type range registers (MTRRs) across a sleep state transition (S5). This can result in reduced resume performance.

Listed as an Error - this happened when closing down last night.

This info message may be related:
The system has returned from a low power state.

Sleep Time: ‎2018‎-‎03‎-‎23T22:33:13.534615600Z
Wake Time: ‎2018‎-‎03‎-‎24T08:33:37.447188900Z

Wake Source: Unknown

Any help, most appreciated.

NTP Client is trying to update time. Know that much.

date and time settings in control panel. And Internet Time settings. Looks like it is having difficulty reaching the time server, Possibly down to your DNS settings in Connection settings? Not sure if windows is configuring your DNS or your Router? I let my router.

No idea about other errors though. Sorry. But reads like your user permissions are not configured correctly?!

Do you have something on your network acting as a NTP server?

I don’t have a network

All your issues suggest otherwise.

How is it hanging? Are there any errors logged on that exact time? How are your power saver settings setup?
Also for that NTP you might have issues with your DNS. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/windows/it-pro/windows-server-2008-R2-and-2008/cc756393(v=ws.10)
This should not cause issues as long as your pc clock is ok.

The PC locks up - nothing works and a hard boot is necessary.

Event viewer is not capturing any failures when I do the shutdown

Could you check your thermals when this is happening?

Unlikely to be of any use, but… And you all know I’m not particularly savvy!

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/event-log-writes-error-related-to-application/e64806c2-510c-44c6-b22e-257d07d47200?page=4

Not sure how I can do that

Mic, download and install Speccy - it’s free. It will tell you the temps.

Or openhardware monitor will tell you as well, on that one you can put logging on. Now I think it might be just your screen locking up and if so that would be the GPU.
If you have any music or something similar playing in the background and that is still making sound when this lockup happens then it is the craphics crashing.

I lose everything - no sound at all.

Last crash I had was…

Google chrome was open and I was typing a response on the forum, turned away, came back and it had frozen.

Nothing else running, keyboard, mouse inoperable.

I am leaving Task Manager open now all the time to see if things are still running, should it freeze again. I am also keeping the GFX drivers up to date in case it is a dodgy driver issue.

I am not really PC savvy (even if I would like to be). I am looking to buy some of these to clear the dust.

How old is the pc Mic? Could it be your BIOS battery needs replaced? That would be throwing your time off, if there is nothing else on your network giving out time. I know you say your not on a network, but you will be if there is more than your pc connected to your router.

Other than that, i’d be turning off screen savers, sleep mode and time outs. It sounds like from your last post there is a issues with the time on your pc and its either going in to sleep mode and not waking or something else.

Thanks Hammy - did not realise that adding more wire outputs from the router creates a Network.

Or wireless. Anything connected to a router forms a sort of network/workgroup depending on permissions. Dhcp will come from your router, this gives you your up address, that is how everything connects to your router and then the internet.

Mic, I could have a look at that at some point. Remote session or something. I’m just working today so can’t do it untill after 5pm.

Step 1: Uninstall Windows 10
Step 2: Install Windows 7
Step 3: ???
Step 4: Profit

Newest error:

Failed with 0x490 modifying AppModel Runtime status for package Microsoft.WindowsFeedbackHub_1.1712.811.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe for user (current status = 0x0, desired status = 0x20).

Current temps are:

CPU 9-31 C
MOBO 17 C
GFX 29 C
SSD 26 C
Other 2 x HDD 20/22 C

Reinstall wouldn’t do any harm mic.